Dr. Agbakoba is the Senior Partner and Head of the…
Osita Franklin Okoro
International Trade & Investment
Osita Franklin Okoro possesses 20 years cognate experience in legal practice, management, public policy, compliance, project management, regulation, institutional and legal reforms, governance, public sector engagement, business development and organizational development.
Prior to joining Olisa Agbakoba Legal, Osita had worked as the Policy and Strategy Adviser to the President of Nigerian Bar Association, NBA and the Executive Director of the NBA for a combined period of 10 years. His work at the NBA not only included engagement of Public Sector Ministries, Departments and Agencies and regulation of the legal profession in Nigeria, it also involved handling public interest litigation cases and projects. In the course of his public interest work at NBA, Osita honed his skills in developing programmes, managing projects and building partnerships with international organizations, development partners and Embassies.
While serving as the Policy & Strategy Adviser to the President of NBA, Osita also worked as a Partner in A & E Law Partnership, a law firm that specializes in Public Private Partnership, PPP, and Public Finance Management. At A & E Law Partnership, Osita was part of the team that advised State and Federal government Agencies on PPP Projects and Public Finance Management.
Osita has travelled widely across all continents for diverse training programmes and conferences.
Osita has vast experience in public sector work. His areas of specialization include:
- Public sector work include understanding the dynamics of government relations
- Public interest litigation
- Protection & enforcement of human rights
- Integrity systems & anti-corruption
- Legal, institutional and regulatory reforms
- Legislative advocacy
- Public policy,
- Compliance, among others.
With regard to international trade and investment practice, Osita has been involved in:
- Policy advocacy for the review of bilateral investment treaties
- Trade agreements and
- Memoranda of Understanding.
He has also been working in the area of trade remedies including:
- Advocating for trade remedies legislation with a view to protecting local manufacturers.
Osita`s current research interests in trade and investment law relates to:
- International trade agreements, Renewable energy
- Trade & digital economy, Investment law
- Trade facilitation
- Negotiation & mediation and
- African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA)
- Nigerian Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Pan African Lawyers Union
- Negotiations and Conflict Management Group
- Abuja Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
- Legislative Advocacy Core Group
- Associate Partner, Olisa Agbakoba Legal
- Policy & Strategy Adviser to the President of Nigerian Bar Association
- Executive Director, Nigerian Bar Association
- Director of Administration, Nigerian Bar Association
- Associate, Olisa Agbakoba & Associates
- Partner, A & E Law Partnership
Enugu State University - L.L.B
Nigerian Law School Abuja - B.L
Osita has written on diverse subject areas of law, policy and governance.
Osita has attended seminars and training programmes, which include a Commonwealth Professional Fellowship Training Programme in London, United Kingdom, UK (a three-month training programme funded by Commonwealth Office.
The training programme covered diverse subjects including , management, leadership, project management, business development, policy advocacy, strategic planning, team building, negotiation, mediation, among others.
The said Fellowship Training Programme also included excursions to a reputable law firm, Allen & Overy in London and Oxford University. It also involved working at the International Division of Law Society of England and Wales where he was part of the team that planned and organized trade missions to many Foreign Jurisdictions for UK Solicitors as part of their legal services export.