Dr. Agbakoba is the Senior Partner and Head of the…
Babatunde Lot Ogungbamila
(Litigation, Insolvency and Energy Law)
Babatunde Ogungbamila is a Partner in Olisa Agbakoba Legal and heads the firm’s Dispute Resolution Practice. He is also responsible for the firm’s Labour and employment, banking, Natural Resources and Finance Practice Brief.
He is an astute litigator who has honed his skills of persuasive speaking from his frequent interfacing at all the levels of courts in Nigeria. Babatunde is an expert in general litigation and other alternative dispute resolution with specialization in commercial litigation, business recovery and insolvency, banking, Oil and Gas practices, taxation, labour and employment matters.
He recently represented a major oil and gas company in defending an arbitral award of US$50,000,000.00 Oil and Gas Arbitration. Babatunde has also handled matters that resulted in the recovery of about N50 Billion for AMCON, a recovery of about N10 Billion for FAAN and also was involved in the recovery of about US$236 million through receivership actions in relation to vessels. He has provided comprehensive legal advisory services to Banks, financial institutions, and investors with respect to their day-to-day business operations and relationship with their main regulator the Central Bank of Nigeria.
His pragmatic approach to dispute resolution has been applied to effectively and efficiently meet particular expectations of clients even when reaching amicable resolutions in the most complex of cases. He has successfully represented numerous clients across major industries in Nigeria and has published numerous papers in international journals including the Oil, Gas and Energy Law Journal (OGEL). Tunde is a member of Insol International and a member of the Business Recovery and insolvency Practitioners of Nigeria (BRIPAN). Tunde is also a member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria
An alumnus of the University of Lagos (LL. B) where he was the President of the Students’ Union. Babatunde also holds an LL.M degree from the University of Dundee in Petroleum Taxation and Finance, at the Center for Energy, Petroleum, Mineral Law and Policy; United Kingdom.
- Nigerian Bar Association
- NBA Section on Business Law
- Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (CITN)
- Business Recovery and Insolvency Practitioners of Nigeria (BRIPAN)
- Olisa Agbakoba Legal (OAL)
(Partner/Head of Litigation)
- Tope Adebayo LLP
(Partner, Special Transaction)
- Sam Ogungbanila & Co
- J.M.L Idani & Co
- Nigerian Law School – BL
- University of Dundee – LLM
- Petroleum Taxation and Finance
University of Lagos – LLB
- Force Majeure and Hardship: To what Extent does Article 79 of Convention on International Sales of Goods (CISG) Excuse Liability for Non performance?
- Bilateral Investment Treaties (BITS) are they shield or sword in the hands of the Foreign Investors?
- Project Financing Transit Pipelines and Obsolescing Bargain: What are the options in Increasing the Bankability of Projects?
- Gross Negligence By The Operator Of A JOA: Is It A Tortuous Or Contractual Liability Or Both?
- Is Energy Policy Compatible with a fully Liberalized Electricity Industry?
- Transit Pipelines and Obsolescing Bargain: What are the Options in protecting the Economics of Projects?
- Mineral and Petroleum Fiscal Regimes: Why are Tough Fiscal Regimes Attracting Investors?
- Unbundling the LNG Chain: Does separate financing of the individual elements in the chain mitigate the risks associated with integrated chain financing? March 2007
- Is Energy Policy Compatible with a fully Liberalized Electricity Industry? June 2007
- Gross Negligence By The Operator Of A JOA: Is It A Tortuous Or Contractual Liability Or Both? 2008
- Share Buyback Scheme: An Unexplored Corporate Management Tool May 14, 2012