As an ADR/Arbitration Law firm in Nigeria, OAL understands that in responding to clients’ needs, we must embrace alternative methods of resolving commercial disputes. OAL thus became the first law firm in Nigeria to establish an Arbitration and Mediation Advisory Center.
OAL applies a basket of procedures – which includes Arbitration, Negotiation, Mediation, Early Neutral Evaluation, Conciliation, Arbitration-Mediation, Expert Determination, Ombudsman, Judicial Mini Trial, Executive Mini Trial, etc. As a developing country, OAL canvasses strongly on policy developments and advocates the use of ADR systems in Nigeria as a necessary factor in engineering economic development.
Our Arbitration & Alternative Dispute Resolution Group comprises experienced and skilled litigation, Conflict Management and Resolution Experts, Arbitrators, Mediators, and Negotiators, who are able to assist our diverse clients in minimizing risks and resolution of multifaceted disputes. Members of the Group are qualified and certified nationally and internationally and have been involved in arbitration in and out of jurisdiction. Our Senior Partner, Dr. Olisa Agbakoba SAN is recognized by WHO’S WHO LEGAL as a leading Arbitrator in Nigeria in 2019 & 2020 for achievements in Arbitration practice and advocacy.
As an ADR/Arbitration Law firm in Nigeria, OAL is nationally rooted but maintains a broad and international outlook and networks on Arbitration practice and service delivery and has achieved the following;
- OAL designed ADR, Litigation – Mediation Mechanism and Rules for Asset Management and Recovery for Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON).
- Involvement as Arbitrator in a multi-million FSPO arbitration dispute in 2018 involving leading indigenous Oil and gas producing companies in Nigeria.
- Involvement as Arbitrator in a multi-million charter party arbitration dispute between two major oil and gas services company in 2019.
- OAL provided advisory and mediation services to the Association of Licensed Telecommunication Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) on regulatory compliance provisions and service provision relationships with Nigeria Communications Commission.
- OAL originated the idea for the introduction of a National Arbitration Policy by Nigerian, an idea currently adopted and being promoted by the Office of the Honourable Attorney General of the Federation and Minister for Justice.